E-mail MeGretchen Garrison
Gretchen Garrison graduated from the University of Missouri in 1982 with a degree in Hospital Administration. She earned her law degree from the University of Missouri-Kansas City in 1986, where she served as managing editor of the UMKC Law Review and on the Moot Court Board.
Ms. Garrison is admitted to practice before all Missouri state courts, the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri and the Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals. She has appeared before every appellate court in the State of Missouri, as well as the United States Supreme Court, in over 50 appeals.
She is a member of The Missouri Bar, the Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis, Women Lawyers' Association of Greater St. Louis, and American Bar Association. She is a former chairperson of the Appellate Practice Committee of the Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis and served on the Missouri Supreme Court Electronic Discovery Committee.
Prior to joining Gray, Ritter & Graham, Ms. Garrison was a partner in one of the region's largest law firms, where her practice concentrated in commercial litigation, health care, and appeals. She has served as Associate General Counsel for a large health insurance company and as General Counsel for the Missouri Department of Health. Ms. Garrison also served as primary appellate counsel to the Missouri Department of Revenue, as well as Deputy Appellate Counsel for the Missouri Attorney General's Office, where she was responsible for appellate policy and argument on behalf of state agencies.
Ms. Garrison's primary practice areas are commercial litigation, complex litigation, and appellate law. She also has expertise in regulatory/administrative law, health care, and taxation. In her commercial practice, Ms. Garrison represents individuals and businesses in a wide variety of disputes including negligence, fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, shareholder rights, tortious interference, trespass, and breach of contract. She has successfully represented parties in large-stakes litigation involving acquisitions and mergers, telecommunications, property rights, banking, health care, insurance, medical equipment, license agreements, government programs, and other business areas. Ms. Garrison also has represented thousands of consumers from Missouri and other states in class actions and other complex litigation against large corporations, including Bayer Corp., AT&T, Inc., Aurora Dairy Corp., Stoneville Pedigreed Seed Company, and Merck & Co., culminating in multi-million dollar recoveries. She was trial counsel in three trials having bellwether status in multi-district litigation resolved by a $750 million settlement, defending each plaintiff's verdict as lead appellate counsel prior to settlement.
Ms. Garrison is listed in The Best Lawyers in America® for Appellate Law, and has been selected to Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers [among the top 5 percent of lawyers in Missouri and Kansas] since 2010, in the area of Business Litigation. She is a member of The National Trial Lawyers "Top 100 Trial Lawyers in Missouri".
Areas of Practice
- Commercial Litigation
- Appellate Law
- Complex Litigation
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Missouri
- U.S. Court of Appeals 8th Circuit
- University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Law, Kansas City, Missouri
- J.D. - 1986
- Honors: Managing editor, Moot Court Board
- Law Review: University of Missouri-Kansas City Law Review, Managing Editor
- University of Missouri, Columbia, Missouri
- B.S. - 1982
- Honors: Health Administration
- "Rules of Appellate Brief Writing", St. Louis Bar Journal, Summer, 2009
- "House Bill 355-Missouri's New Managed Care Legislation", 66 UMKC L. Rev. 775, 1998
- Merger of Comparative Fault and Strict Liability in Missouri, 54 University of Missouri-Kansas City Law Review 243, 1986
- Missouri Comparative Faulty Treatise - Theory and Practice, University of Missouri-Kansas City/CLE (1986, Supp. 1989 & 1993)
- Missouri Products Liability Handbook, Chapter 42 - Indemnity, Contribution and Settlement (Co-Author), University of Missouri-Kansas City/CLE, 1988
- Frequent Speaker, Health Care Law
- Mastering Appellate Advocacy, St. Louis Health Care Seminar
- Speaker, UMKC/CLE Year-End Review of the Law
- Kansas City Health Care Law Seminar
- Adjunct Professor, Administrative Law, Avila College
Honors and Awards
- Top 100 Trial Lawyers in Missouri, The National Trial Lawyers
- Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers, 2010 - Present
- Best Lawyers in America, 2009 - Present
- Best Lawyers in St. Louis, St. Louis Magazine, 2009 - Present
Professional Associations and Memberships
- The Missouri Bar
- The Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis
- Women Lawyers' Association of Greater St. Louis
- American Bar Association
- Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis
- Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis, Chair Person, Appellate Practice Committee
- Mid-America Transplant Services, Board of Directors
- Mid-America Transplant Services, Governance Committee Member
- Mid-America Transplant Services, Conflicts Committee Chairperson
- Missouri Supreme Court Electronic Discovery Committee
- Delta Theta Phi