E-mail MeMaurice B. Graham
888-743-4054 (Toll Free)
Maurice B. Graham is President of Gray, Ritter & Graham, P.C. and concentrates his practice in the areas of complex business and commercial litigation and catastrophic injury and death cases. He is a frequent speaker and author in the areas of litigation and legal ethics.
Mr. Graham was educated at Central Methodist University and the University of Missouri, where he received both his B.A. and J.D. degree.
He is admitted to practice before the United States Supreme Court and the Fifth, Eighth and Ninth Circuits of the U.S. Court of Appeals, in addition to being admitted in the federal courts of Missouri. Mr. Graham has handled cases in federal and state courts throughout Missouri and in courts in Montana, Oklahoma, Arkansas, South Carolina, Illinois, Iowa, Texas, Arizona, and New Mexico. In 2013, he obtained the highest jury verdict ever received in a medical negligence wrongful death case in St. Louis County.
Mr. Graham was a member of The Missouri Bar Board of Governors from 1980 through 1990 and President of The Missouri Bar in 1988-89. He has served on several Missouri Bar and Missouri Supreme Court task forces and committees, including co-chairing the Supreme Court Cameras in the Courtroom Task Force. He served as a member and chairman of the Supreme Court Advisory Committee, which oversees attorney discipline in Missouri.
Mr. Graham is a past president of the St. Louis Bar Foundation. He is a member of The Missouri Bar, the Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis, and the American Bar Association. He was a member of the ABA House of Delegates from 1990-1994. He is a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers, the International Society of Barristers, the International Academy of Trial Lawyers, the Missouri Association of Trial Attorneys, the American Association for Justice, and the American Trial Lawyers Association.
Mr. Graham received a Special Merit Citation from the American Judicature Society in 1989 and received a Citation of Merit from the University of Missouri-Columbia Law School in 1988. In 1992, he was honored by the University of Missouri with a Distinguished Alumni Award. He is active in University affairs, having served as President of the University of Missouri Law School Foundation, and a Trustee of the Jefferson Club. Mr. Graham served as Chairman of the University of Missouri-Columbia Law School's $17 million endowment campaign.
He is a 2014 recipient of the Missouri Lawyers Weekly "Mentor Award," The Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis' "William L. Weiss Award" and the "Richard S. Arnold Award for Distinguished Service," United States District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri.
Mr. Graham received the 2010 Award of Honor from The Lawyers Association of St. Louis. He is listed in The Best Lawyers in America® in the categories of Bet-the-Company Litigation, Commercial Litigation, Personal Injury Litigation - Plaintiffs, and Medical Malpractice Law - Plaintiffs, and is listed among the "Best Lawyers in St. Louis" in St. Louis Magazine in these same areas. Graham was named the Best Lawyers’ 2013 St. Louis Personal Injury Litigation- Plaintiffs Lawyer of the Year and Best Lawyers’ 2009 St. Louis Bet-the-Company Litigation Lawyer of the Year. He has an AV Peer Review Rating from Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory, which is the highest given. He was voted as one of the top three in Missouri Lawyer's Weekly's "Missouri's Best Survey" in the category of Best Litigator. Mr. Graham has been selected annually to Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers (among the top 5 percent of lawyers in Missouri and Kansas) since 2005, and repeatedly has been included in the "Top 10 Attorneys" in the region.
He received the Missouri Lawyers Weekly Lawyer of the Year Award 2001; The Missouri Bar President's Award, 1991; Spurgeon-Smithson Award, 1994; Purcell Professionalism Award, 2000; and Pro Bono Award, 2000. He was the co-author of "Spoliation of Medical Records," 52 J. Mo. Bar 87 (1996) (selected to receive the Oliver Rasch Award as the outstanding article of 1996); and "Hedonic Damages - Where are We?" 51 J. Mo. Bar 265 (1995).
In 2006, Mr. Graham was awarded the Distinguished Alumni Award from Central Methodist University. He served as a member of the Board of Curators of Central Methodist University, Fayette, Missouri, and is a member of the Sheldon Arts Foundation Board in St. Louis, serving as Board Chairman from 2007-2010.
Mr. Graham has active outdoor interests, including skiing, and in 2013 he and his wife, Edna Mae, did a 245-mile bike ride across the state of Missouri.
Areas of Practice
- Wrongful Death & Catastrophic Injury
- Product Liability
- Commercial Litigation & Class Action
- Medical Malpractice
- Automobile / Trucking Accidents
- Missouri, 1963
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court Western District of Missouri
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 8th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- University of Missouri Columbia School of Law, Columbia, Missouri
- J.D. - 1962
- Honors: President, Law School Student Body
- University of Missouri, Columbia, Missouri
- B.A. - 1960
- Major: Political Science
- "Spoliation of Medical Records," (Co-Author), 52 J. Mo. B. 87, 1996
- "Hedonic Damages - Where Are We?", 51 J. Mo. B. 265, 1995
- Frequent Speaker, Litigation
Honors and Awards
- Missouri Lawyers Weekly: 2014 Mentor Award
- The Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis: William L. Weiss Award
- Best Lawyers 2014: Bet-the-Company Litigation
- Best Lawyers 2013: Bet-the-Company Litigation
- Lawyers Committee, National Center for State Courts, 2013
- Best Lawyers 2013 St. Louis Personal Injury Litigation: Plaintiffs Lawyer of the Year
- Best Lawyers 2012: Bet-the-Company Litigation
- Best Lawyers 2011: Bet-the-Company Litigation
- Award of Honor, The Lawyers Association of St. Louis, 2010
- Best Lawyers 2010: Bet-the-Company Litigation
- Best Lawyers 2009 St. Louis Lawyer of the Year: Bet-the-Company Litigation
- The Best Lawyers in America, 2003 - Present
- Best Lawyers in St. Louis, St. Louis Magazine, 2003 - Present
- Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers, 2005 - Present
- Missouri Lawyers Weekly Lawyer of the Year Award, 2001
- Purcell Professionalism Award, 2000
- The Missouri Bar Pro Bono Award, 2000
- The Missouri Bar Oliver Rasch Award, 1996
- The Missouri Bar Spurgeon Smithson Award, 1994
- The Missouri Bar President's Award, 1991
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers
- Fellow, International Society of Barristers
- Fellow, International Academy of Trial Lawyers
- Fellow, Missouri Association of Trial Attorneys
- Special Merit Citation, American Judicature Society, 1989
- Distinguished Alumni Award, Central Methodist University, 2006
- Distinguished Alumni Award, University of Missouri-Columbia, 1992
- Citation of Merit, University of Missouri-Columbia Law School, 1988
- Richard Arnold award
Professional Associations and Memberships
- St. Louis Bar Foundation, President
- The Missouri Bar, Member, Board of Governors, 1980 - 1990
- The Missouri Bar, President, 1988 - 1989
- Supreme Court Advisory Committee, Chairman
- Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis
- American Bar Association
- ABA, House of Delegates, 1990 - 1994
- American College of Trial Lawyers, Fellow
- Missouri Association of Trial Attorneys
- American Trial Lawyers Association
- American Association for Justice
- University of Missouri-Columbia Law School Foundation, President
- Jefferson Club, Trustee
- University of Missouri-Columbia Law School, Chairman, Endowment Campaign
- Central Methodist University, Fayette, Missouri, Member, Board of Curators
- Sheldon Arts Foundation Board in St. Louis, Chairman 2007-2010