Class Actions: Combining Many Small Claims
When a business defrauds a consumer, the consumer does not usually lose enough to take legal action - even if the consumer could afford to hire a lawyer and go through a long, expensive legal battle. However, when many consumers are victimized by fraud in the same way, they can be part of a class action lawsuit that represents all the consumers.
When a class of people are represented by the same legal team, the clients have access to significant litigating resources and enjoy much greater economies of scale. These types of actions not only provide compensation to those victimized by the fraudulent conduct, but often stop the conduct itself and deter that business and others from acting in a similar manner in the future.
Class Action Lawsuit Attorneys
At Gray Ritter Graham in St. Louis, our lawyers have the experience and resources to pursue class action lawsuits against major corporations. Class actions are an important tool for making sure consumers are treated honestly and fairly. Using the Missouri Merchandising Practices Act and other laws, our trial attorneys are known for their ability to handle class action lawsuits. Below are examples of our representation in class action litigation.
Consumer Fraud Class Action Lawsuits
- Gray Ritter Graham achieved a $220 million settlement in a class action lawsuit against the makers of a prescription pain reliever used for the treatment of certain arthritis conditions. The lawsuit sought and obtained recovery of the full purchase price for all Missouri residents who purchased the drug.
- Gray Ritter Graham litigated a class action that led to a landmark settlement for uninsured patients of the largest healthcare system in Missouri. The settlement stopped that system’s practice of charging uninsured patients double, triple, or more than it charged insured patients for the same identical procedure and also required the system to forgive inflated previous charges to uninsured patients. At least 385,000 people directly benefitted from the settlement. Bill forgiveness alone was estimated to total more than $167 million, and bills sent to uninsured patients after the settlement were estimated to be reduced by over $100 million. The settlement served a model to other healthcare systems striving to treat their uninsured patients fairly.
- A major Internet provider promised to deliver certain Internet speeds to consumers. When the company could not deliver the promised speed to all consumers, it capped the speed below the promised speed. No one consumer could take on a big company in a consumer fraud case, but our law firm was able to get the case certified as a class action and obtained recovery for those consumers ripped off by the company.
- A mobile phone system charged customers a 1.5% fee for late payments. Then the company decided it would increase that to a $5 minimum charge for a late payment but did not change the contracts. That breach of contract case was certified as a class action and full recovery was obtained for those customers who were overcharged.
- Two large realtors in the St. Louis area defrauded home buyers by overstating the square footage of a certain style home. Because of this, the buyers did not receive the benefit of their bargain and a class action was brought.
- A major organic dairy was not following all requirements to properly call its milk organic. Gray Ritter Graham held that company accountable through a class action settlement for purchasers of the company’s milk.
- A major pet food producer was not complying with label representations about the contents of its pet food. Gray Ritter Graham held that company accountable through a class action settlement for purchasers of that pet food.
Contact Gray Ritter Graham!
Other attorneys in Missouri, Illinois, Arkansas, and nationwide know Gray Ritter Graham as a law firm that has the experience and knowledge to try class action lawsuits. Those lawyers often bring their clients’ cases to GRG.
If you are a consumer or another attorney, it costs nothing to call and ask us to review your consumer fraud or potential class action case. Contact us as soon as possible so that we can evaluate the case and begin our investigation.