Product Defects in the Workplace
Workplace equipment failure can turn an everyday work activity into a dangerous situation that causes serious injuries. Workplace injuries are covered by workers' compensation, but when equipment failure causes or contributes to the injury, the employee may also have a claim against the manufacturer. For example:
- Firefighters rely on self-contained breathing apparatuses (SCBAs) in the course of their duties. When an SCBA fails, a firefighter will not receive sufficient oxygen and may be overcome by smoke.
- The failure of safety equipment in the workplace can lead to exposure to chemicals. This exposure can cause burns and a lack of oxygen that can lead to serious lung and brain injuries. For example, prolonged exposure to benzene, which is used regularly in the workplace, can lead to a serious blood disorder called acute myelogenous leukemia (AML).
- Machine shop injuries can be caused by heavy tool-and-die machines that lack working safety guards.
- Defective ladders, safety harnesses, and scaffolds can cause dangerous situations and serious injuries in the workplace.
- Bucket trucks that lack proper insulation can cause serious electrical injuries to utility workers.
If unsafe equipment caused your work injury, tell us what happened.
When a workplace accident causes serious injury or wrongful death, talk to a GRG lawyer. A claim may be available against the workplace equipment maker or supplier. Contact us as soon as possible so that we may properly advise you on your legal rights.