Meet St. Louis Attorney,
Stephen R. Woodley
Stephen R. Woodley is a native of St. Louis who completed his undergraduate degree at Washington University in 1978. In 1982, Mr. Woodley received his DMD degree, also from Washington University, and in 1986 he graduated from the Saint Louis University School of Law.
In 1982, after completing his DMD degree, Mr. Woodley joined the then Gray & Ritter firm as a full-time law clerk, assisting primarily in the development of professional negligence cases. After graduation from law school in 1986, he joined the firm as an associate. He became a principal of the firm in 1992.
Mr. Woodley has handled to conclusion several hundred medical negligence cases throughout the state of Missouri. While professional negligence is a primary focus, Mr. Woodley also concentrates his practice on automobile and trucking accidents.
Mr. Woodley is a member of the American Association for Justice and American Society of Legal Advocates. He has served on the Board of Governors of the Missouri Association of Trial Attorneys, and is a past member of the Executive Committee of the Lawyers Association of St. Louis, as well as numerous other local and national professional organizations.
He has lectured at law, medical and dental schools and to professional societies, primarily on medical and dental negligence. He has given continuing legal education presentations on various topics. He was on the court-appointed committee that developed form interrogatories for medical negligence cases in the City of St. Louis.
Mr. Woodley is a co-author of Missouri Civil Trial Practice publications on voir dire and wrongful death damages. He has also authored and co-authored articles for the Missouri Association of Trial Attorneys.
Mr. Woodley was named the Best Lawyers® 2021 St. Louis Personal Injury Litigation-Plaintiffs “Lawyer of the Year” and Best Lawyers 2017 St. Louis Medical Malpractice Law – Plaintiffs “Lawyer of the Year,” and is also listed in The Best Lawyers in America for Personal Injury Litigation – Plaintiffs. He is an Associate of the American Board of Trial Advocates and has an AV Peer Review Rating from Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory, which is the highest given. Mr. Woodley has been annually selected to Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers [among the top 5 percent of lawyers in Missouri and Kansas] since 2005, in the area of Personal Injury Plaintiff-Medical Litigation. He is a member of The National Trial Lawyers “Top 100 Trial Lawyers in Missouri.”
AREAS OF PRACTICE
- Medical Malpractice
- Automobile / Trucking Accidents
- Wrongful Death & Catastrophic Injury
- Product Liability
How Can We Help?
Email us for a free consultation
Disclaimer: The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.
- Missouri, 1986
- Illinois, 1986
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Missouri, 1987
- U.S. Federal Court, 1987
- Saint Louis University School of Law, St. Louis, Missouri
- J.D., 1986
- Washington University, St. Louis, Missouri
- D.M.D., 1982
- Washington University, St. Louis, Missouri
- B.A., 1978
- Missouri Civil Trial Practice (Co-Author), Missouri Association of Trial Attorneys
- Missouri Association of Trial Attorneys
- The Missouri Trial Attorney, “Demonstrative Evidence in the Medical Negligence Case: Using Certified Medical Illustrators and Computer Animators”, Spring, 2002
- The Missouri Trial Attorney, “Cross Examination of Defendants’ Expert: General Guidelines”, Summer, 2002
- Damages (Co-Author), Ch. 11, Wrongful Death, Supplement, 1994
- Damages (Co-Author), Ch. 11, Wrongful Death, 2d Ed., Chapter 18, 2001
- Speaker at numerous legal seminars and presentations
- Lecturer, Medical and Dental Negligence, Medical and Dental Schools
Honors and Awards
- Best Lawyers 2021 St. Louis Personal Injury Litigation-Plaintiffs Lawyer of the Year
- Best Lawyers in America 2017 St. Louis Medical Malpractice Law – Plaintiffs Lawyer of the Year
- Missouri Lawyers Weekly Appellate Advocacy Award, 2012 – Present
- Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers, 2005 – Present
- The Best Lawyers in America, 2003 – Present
- Fellow, American Board of Trial Advocates
- AV Peer Review Rating from Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Foundation, Fellow
- American Association for Justice
- American Society of Legal Advocates
- American Board of Trial Advocates
- American Board of Trial Attorneys
- Missouri Association of Trial Attorneys, Past Member Board of Governors
- Lawyers Association of St. Louis, Past Member, Executive Committee